Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Contact Us

Please read the following information carefully as we do not respond to every email received.

We do not provide emergency medical assistance. If you have a medical emergency please dial 112 and ask for an ambulance, or go to your nearest public hospital or health centre. You can find a list of these by clicking here.

We also do not respond to enquiries regarding the quality of care, waiting lists for treatment or provide a list of English-speaking doctors in Spain. These enquiries are dealt with directly by the Spanish authorities.

We normally have an average response time of 20 working days for emails, so please check that your enquiry is not covered under the following information before contacting us:

• General detailed information on accessing healthcare in Spain can be found at our website here;

• EU Referendum – The latest information on the EU Referendum can be found here;

• If you are visiting Spain and need medical assistance, you can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at any public health centre or hospital. A list of these centres can be found here. If your EHIC has been lost or stolen, you can request a Provisional Replacement Certificate from the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle by calling +44 191 218 1999 or emailing You will need to provide your UK national insurance number, dates of treatment and an email or fax for the hospital or health centre you are attending; If you are refused treatment under the EHIC, are asked to provide details of travel insurance, or you are charged for treatment after presenting the card, please contact us ; The EHIC entitles you to all medically-necessary treatment during a temporary visit to the EEA. Your full rights and entitlements as an EHIC holder can be found here;

• If you are a state pensioner and require an S1 form, please contact the International Pension Centre on +44 191 218 7777; S1s can also be issued to family members who are dependants of the S1 holder, although it is up to the Spanish to decide who can and cannot be dependants. A list of dependants under Spanish law can be found here. Please note there is a separate S1 form issued by HMRC for British citizenship – this form is not the correct form to register for healthcare;

• If you need to legalise a UK birth or marriage certificate in order to add someone as a dependant to your health cover, you need to contact the FCO Legalisation office and request a copy of the certificate with an Apostille Stamp. Legalisation is not carried out by the consular service in Spain;

• If you need to provide proof you are not covered by the UK for healthcare you may only request this from the UK when you are applying to join a free healthcare scheme in Spain e.g. healthcare on the basis of residency. The document is called a legislation letter and can be obtained by calling the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle on +44 191 218 1999 or emailing them at Please not that this letter is not available if you are applying for the Convenio Especial (Spanish Govt pay-in scheme);

• If you need to organise oxygen during your visit to Spain, please see our guide here; Please note that you will not always get confirmation from the Spanish authorities that your oxygen supply is confirmed, especially in the Canary Islands. However, we have never received notification from a customer that oxygen has failed to be delivered. In the unlikely event that this happens, please ask your tour operator/hotel to call the relevant authorities on our guide;

• If you have a query about prescriptions during your visit to Spain please click here or if you would like to know more about receiving prescriptions before you move to Spain please see here.

If the above information hasn’t answered your enquiry, please send your message with the words ‘Please Contact Me’ at the top. We will get back to you within 20 working days.

Follow us to get the latest updates:

Brits In Spain facebook
 Living in Spain twitter
Visiting Spain twitter